Sunday 13 March 2011

The Art of Lancaster

Here is my piece from my Lancaster visit. I am pleased with the result because it marks a new way of working for me - using a wetter brush and completeing the picture in one go.

I have to prepare an artist statement for my exhibition promotional material and I find this very difficult. What is it that people want to hear about an artist and who is my audience? I can't deny that I want to sell my paintings and so I feel I should write something that potential buyers want to hear. Maybe about how I have suffered for my work, starving in an attic and having mad fits of emotional turmoil. How my paintings are so important to me that anyone who purchases them would imediately become a member of a select group of 'those-who-know-what-a-good-painting-looks-like-and-have-great-taste' and they must vow to only show their purchases to other potential buyers art lovers. Or I could write something that would attract the Gallery owners and curators that are obviously going to be queing to get in. Something about how I will be consistently turning out new and dynamic works in series and how I have collectors from all over the world begging for me to paint for them and that they will no doubtly be offering me money to exhibit in their galleries rather than stealing 30-40% commission!!

No comments:

Post a Comment