Saturday 12 March 2011

Art as a business

So, at the ripe old age of 50, I am going to make my art my business. What will this look like? What I mean is that I intend to market my art and myself as an artist. I have a number of works, a website and I have set up a couple of exhibition venues for this summer so what could possibly go wrong? Surely I am on my way to stardom!
I was in Lancaster the other day and after visiting Arteria Gallery 23 where I have some work on display, I had half an hour to kill before meeting my sister in the excellent Whale Tail Cafe so wandered into the Lancaster Museum and their current exhibition of Hilary Carr works. I am endeavouring to work on some watercolour studies of my local area and I will be happy if my efforts can turn out like Hilary Carr's clean and characteristic studies. The museum holds a fine collection of historical landscapes and they are exhibited as you climb the stairway so you can get a really good close up look. I was particuarly interested in paintings of the Ashton memorial in Williamson Park as this is where I am holding my exhibition in June. A subject probably painted a million times but I managed to take some photos of the memorial building whilst the winter sun was bright and I intend to work in a new way for me with wet oils and fauvist palette.

No comments:

Post a Comment